Friday, June 4, 2021

Monotronic "Livin In A Lie"

In another lifetime I was part of a band - not the solo creator that I am (along with other producers/composers) in this stage of my output. There is something so magical about playing with other musicians; the kind of telepathy that emerges when, after thousands of hours of practice, just a glance can indicate books of information on where to take a jam or a song. This was what I was thinking about when being exposed to Monotronic's new track "Livin' in a Lie," where they've dispensed with the standard chord-progression-loops idea so popular now, and have given us a truly organic and ensemble-driven song. 




Of course, those who follow the "band" Monotronic, will be quick to tell me that the driving force behind its creativity is a gent named Ramsey Elkholy. I would still say that my analysis holds though. 

The track itself is very rock in its approach but makes more than a few nods to funk and jazz with the occasional chromatic descending chords between verses. The swinging rhythm guitar is a big selling point for anyone who was a fan of George Clinton's endeavors. The vocals, while very aptly performed are processed in a kind of lo-fi approach (think all the college rock bands that used to sing through megaphones) and the lyrics cause me to shiver, just a little. Fans can stream the song here

No comments:

Post a Comment