Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Sandra Esparza "Mind Goes Blank"

OK, here is a revelation for me - I was passed this track by singer/songwriter Sandra Esparza titled "Mind Goes Blank..." And my thought was "wow, she sounds great, with sharp original lyrics, interesting voice, pretty guitar playing... but the RECORDING! I mean, it sounds like she just put up a microphone in front of a tape machine and performed." I was turning in my mind how to reach out to her, so that I could kindly re-work her recording, you know, a touch of reverb, some eq/compression, maybe a little more saturation... etc. And then it dawned on me - that's the point dummy; almost every recording is overworked from a tech-standpoint.


So, this is the lesson, oftentimes it is just far better to sound like you're practicing in your bedroom. Because, let's be honest, how many people get invited into your bedroom? There is a level of intimacy that exists with this kind of artform. I would encourage you to go have a listen to "Mind Goes Blank," and indeed, the rest of her album because it's well worth the time. 

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate you taking the time to listen to my new album. Thank you for the thoughtful review! Much love and light!!!!!

    ReplyDelete