Monday, April 19, 2021

The Impersonators "Scarlet Hell"

 When I was reading about the Finnish rock band: The Impersonators, I had seen that early REM was a driving influence, and I thought to myself "oh, I gotta hear this" (REM was an obsession for me as a late teenager in the 1990's). Well, they don't disappoint - they have a pretty slick music video for their new song "Scarlet Hell." It's a very mature track musicianship-wise - a beautiful arrangement of rock, organ, brass, some great vocals to boot.


Now, of course, we should note that the music video has its college-movie-edge to it. But for a band channeling early indie-music/college-dorm-radio, I actually find this quite moving. I am also increasingly fascinated by non-English-speaking countries increasingly producing rock acts that not only successfully pull off English language songs - but seem to thrive off of it. I think this phenomenon is cause for British and American acts alike to step up their game. 

The Impersonators can be found at their FB page here

 

No comments:

Post a Comment