Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Chris St. John "A Box for Jewels"



One thing that I have always admired in other songwriters, that I lack in my own songs, is the ability to spin a narrative - within me, there is a deep appreciation for the storytellers (the lyrics for my own songs tend to be more stream-of-consciousness). I was thinking about this while listening to Chris St. John's new track "A Box for Jewels;" I don't want to give any spoilers but suffice to say, the poetic experience beautifully matches the musical one. 

"A Box for Jewels" opens with a child's music-box-like into that then morphs into sophisticated guitar, bass, piano, and drum instrumentation. St. John's vocal melody is somewhat monotone in the verses allowing the lyrics to come through uncluttered. It's a love-song to be sure, but there is enough ambiguity to wonder exactly who is the object of such affection (i.e. God, Father, Lover?). Give it a listen, I promise it's edifying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment