Friday, December 3, 2021

The Undecideds "Even the Losers" (Tom Petty Cover)

It was last week I was in rehearsal with a new Jazz ensemble and we got onto the subject of Billie Eilish and the role her brother has played in her music/success. I was remarking (being the only musician in my family) how nice it would have been to have a sister that sings/co-writes... etc. It was then that I remembered my two newest favorite brother and sister duo: "The Undecideds." I was equally happy to be alerted to their video, a cover of Tom Petty's "Even the Losers."


Of course, I could rehash how talented these "kids" are for their age, yadda yadda. But I think I'm more impressed with the fact that these two seem to have internalized rock music that is older than they are - which means that "the sound of a generation" is taking on a whole new meaning. If Tom Petty is still relevant 40 or so years after his heyday, in a time of infinite music to consume, I think it's safe to say that young pioneers understand objective quality in music maybe more than any other generation. 

Oh, and BTW, they also have great original tunes also. 

1 comment: