Tuesday, September 6, 2022

The Undecideds "Broken Trophy" (Chloe Solo)

There are a few acts that I keep coming back to, and the more I think about why, the biggest reason, I think, it saves me from being too much of a curmudgeonly old man. I've made no secret that I believe the music artform is in crisis; however, the young people who keep me inspired to write these articles give me hope that the future of our discipline is in good hands. That's what I'm writing about today - of course, I really enjoy the band "The Undecideds," and for this one, the sister-half of that duo (Chloe) gifts us with a song "Broken Trophy." 

There's a spontaneous quality to this number, and I believe (from the video's title) that our young songstress showed it for the first time in the recording above. It's such a simple, sweetly-sung, moving, melodic, and balanced work, but that's not necessarily where the magic resides. I don't know where the "secret sauce" is that makes some performances utterly captivating - other than to say that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The religious person in me says that humanity's creative spirit is evidence of the divine (I'm getting off track). I guess the overall point is, I listen to songs like this and I feel good that beautiful art can be made in spite of the world around us. I really hope these folks continue to put out original music.

No comments:

Post a Comment