Thursday, August 26, 2021

Phil Joseph "Babe You Are Mine"

Hello dear CMT readers - One of my most favorite parts of writing for this blog is to watch the development of musicians over time, and this post is no exception. Today, we have one of your favorite artists back with a new song. As of August 16th of this year, Phil Joseph (who is now a full-fledged platinum/gold artist... WOW, time flies) has released "Babe You Are Mine;" a wonderful lush reggae-esque track replete with horns and upbeat rhythms reminiscent of cool island evenings. Joseph has also cut a really lovely video to the track which you should watch below:



I remember being in my early 20's and totally loving on bands like the Cure ("Wild Mood Swings" days) for their use of horn accompaniments to otherwise pop/rock, especially on their track "The 13th." and Phil Joseph is continuing in that tradition with this newest flood in our earholes. 

The sharp drum intro with the horns gently swinging set us up for a danceable party track, yet there is something subtle and seductive about Joseph's voice. "Like the golden sun, like blowing wind, you're special to me..." is a romantic sentiment that I doubt any ladies would be immune to. When we add in the gorgeous backup singers, we've got magic!

It will be interesting to see where Phil Joseph goes from here - but wherever it is, I'm sure those sensual, artistic, and refined aspects of his performance and songwriting are sure to follow. For my part though, I'm happy to sit back and listen to "Babe You Are Mine" while sipping something delicious and letting the sound of brass and vocals put me at ease. 

2 comments: