Thursday, November 24, 2022

Sanjana Nuwan Bandara "Don't Kill My Vibe"

It's one of the great regrets in my life that I only speak one language fluently. There have been so many times I've attempted to learn Italian, Russian, Persian, and Hindi. I was reminded of this when I was passed Sanjana Nuwan Bandara's "Don't Kill My Vibe," a raucous dance tune with predominantly Hindi lyrics (but rather adeptly singing some clever rhymes in English in the second half of the track), but sounding fresh out of a Florida night-club. Electronic flutters, synth stabs, and danceable rhythms pulsate through the song beginning to end. This thing has a killer backbeat and is mixed perfectly. Mr. Sanjana, for his part, has an extremely fresh/smooth vocal track and is well worth the listen. 


As someone who's studied Hindusthani classical music for most of my life, I long to hear the native instruments from that country, but that's just a matter of taste. When I let the song stand on it's own, I can honestly say it lacks nothing. Actually, in all honesty, I feel quite a bit of kinship with Sanjana Nuwan Bandara, as someone in the west practicing music from India, it's heartening to hear someone from India successfully and innovatively doing musical styles from the USA. I'll be curious to see what else is up his sleeve in the next release. 

Do yourself a favor and check out his Instagram page here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment