Thursday, December 15, 2022

Jeff Lake & Cellophane Flowers - "Happy Xmas (War is Over)"

I remember being a lonely 20-something and putting together a playlist of sad-Christmas songs. So, it had Willie Nelson's "Pretty Paper," Murder City Devils "364 Days," and of course, "Happy Xmas (War is Over) by John Lenon. And even though I'm no longer that depressed quarter-aged gent, I still come back to those songs every season, which is why I was happy to come across Jeff Lake and Cellophane Flowers' version of the last on that list. 


What can I say? It's a beloved song, so only those with the best of vocal chops should attempt it - and Mr. Lake delivers in spades. His upper register is exactly what this tune demands - I dare say, and don't crucify me here, that he sings it better than Lenon himself. The orchestration is top-notch. Overall it's a great take on a classic tune and it should definitely make the rounds in your Christmas music lineup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment