Monday, April 11, 2022

Sam Bailey "Black Velvet"

So, over here at CMT we're continuing our "coverage of covers" (I thought that was clever, I don't care what you think). Seriously though, I have to say that I'm in love with the plethora of young performers resurrecting hits from when I was their age. And for this week, we've got the lovely Sam Bailey, and her rendition of  the classic country-blues-rock anthem: "Black Velvet."


From the get-go, the band is spot-on in the interpretation of the original, the subtle/sexy groove is exactly the gritty laid-back sound we all expect from "Black Velvet." Ms. Bailey, for her part, is a gifted vocalist, and though her sound is quite youthful, she manages to deliver the mature sentiment that would have men drooling. One good thing about singing covers, is that if you're showcasing your ability as a vocalist, you can choose the most challenging stuff out there - and Sam seems to be doing just that. If you readers can't get enough of Sam Bailey's voice, my suggestion would be to stream "Edge of Seventeen" as your next listen. 



1 comment: